All riders are subjected to the rules of the road as stated by Massachusetts State Police, Mass. Highway and local municipalities. We have Massachusetts State and local police on hand to help make your ride safe and secure.
Please remember to follow these simple rules:
- The route for the first 10 miles is a controlled rolling enclosure. To enable all riders to get through the traffic lights and other dangerous areas. We will ride the first 10 miles at the speed of the slowest riders about 12 miles per hour. During this escort we must keep one lane open for police to pass. If we have three lanes of travel, use only two, when it goes down to two lanes use only one, when we have one lane, try to stay as far right as possible.
- Once the rolling enclosure ends riders must obey all traffic signs, such as, but not limited to, stop signs, traffic lights and yield signs.
- Please report any accident or occurrence to a fellow rider to any route staff member or support staff at any venue.
- Riders must listen to the State and local police and the Official Bike Marshals for instructions and warnings; they are there for their protection.
- All riders will walk over the steel bridge at mileage marker 1.5 miles after the start if the bridge is wet. We will also walk over the Sagamore Bridge per order of the Bourne Police.
- Be careful on the down hills in Braintree (during escort), use your brakes and don’t bunch up into the riders ahead.
- There will be portable toilets available for use at CVS on Quincy Shore Dr which is on the route during the controlled section.
- There will be SAG support service for the three official starts with bike techs and medical support. There will be a medical team and multiple ambulances on the main course. There will be a shuttle bus system from each rest stop that will bring riders and their bike forward so they can continue the ride from a location further along the course or the SAG service will bring riders all the way to the finish area if need be. There will be a sweep van that will follow the slowest riders, designated by a flashing yellow light affixed to the roof. There will be a sweep bike on the main course and he will make sure that riders are keeping pace so they will be into the finish before the route closes. The route closes at 4PM.
- We have well equipped bike techs in the SAG vehicles and at each rest stop; however, Riders will be required to carry a spare tube and a way to inflate it with them on the bike.
- Helmets are mandatory any time a riders is on the bike. Headphones will not be allowed.
- There are three ways to follow the route – yellow arrows on pavement, yellow signs with black arrows on poles and the pocket map book. Riders can also download the route from ridewithgps.com through the Best Buddies Challenge website to your Garmin or other GPS devise. All turns are well marked; go straight unless told to turn.
- Mileage markers are at each rest stop. Mileage will be counted down from 50 miles every 10 miles and from 5 miles down to 1 every 1 mile. Every effort will be made to pass along to riders any information in regards to road work or pavement conditions.
- All Rest Stops will have food and drink, medical, SAG and bike tech support.
- A complete Emergency Medical Plan will be available to all route support.
Rules of the “Road” for the 5k Run/Walk
- All walkers/runners are subjected to the rules of the road as stated by the Barnstable Police.
- All runners should line up at the beginning of the chute, ahead of the walkers.
- Police are stationed at left hand turns and key intersections. There are also Course Marshal’s at three different areas for directions and information.
- Participants must listen to the local police and official course marshals for instructions and warnings. They are there for your protection.
- Please stay on the route at all times. Part of the route goes through private property and we want to respect the opportunity to be on their property.
- There are three water stops on the route, staffed with volunteers.
- Please find a police or course marshal if you need assistance at any time. There will be a van on the route if anyone needs transportation.
- In case of a serious incident, please call 911 first.
- Cones have been placed in key areas to protect you from the vehicle traffic. Please stay inside the protected area.
Be safe and have fun!